One woman's quest to save money, save the planet and save my sanity

Monday, November 23, 2009

Prepare Ye

Since I tend to be inspired by the goings on in my day to day routine, I frequently find myself wanting to blog about things as they occur. Holiday related activities, for example. But nearly all of the materials that I use to accomplish This and That are items that I am quietly socking away throughout the year and I forget that everyone may not have a stockpile of egg cartons or corks in their cupboard. I certainly don't want anyone running out to buy anything to tackle a task they find here as that would be the very antithesis of our purpose, wouldn't it? So I am going to start dropping some suggestions for bits and pieces that you may want to hang onto so that when you see a post come up about making 100% repurposed Christmas ornaments you can head right for your juice lids and get to work.

So here are a few things that you can tuck away in a drawer or cabinet and save from the landfill so that they might find new life again.
  • afore mentioned juice lids (the kind from frozen juice concentrate, washed)
  • bits of ribbon or string that come tied on packages, etc.
  • broken crayons
  • worn out markers
  • shoe boxes
  • greeting cards, note cards, any cards
  • canning lids (the jar and ring can be reused for next years jam batch, the lid can not)
  • toilet paper rolls
That should get us started. Upcoming posts during the holiday season will put many of these to use and, in the meantime, start your wheels turning to see what uncommon uses you can find for these commonly discarded gems. Just don't end up on a future episode of Hoarders.

No comments:

Post a Comment