One woman's quest to save money, save the planet and save my sanity

Thursday, December 10, 2009

A Birds Eye View of Winter

This morning, we awoke to our first full helping of snow. Shortly after receiving the 5:30am Snow Day Robo Call, I headed out to shovel around the coop door and check on the girls. We had a bit of a storm over the weekend, but it was very clumpy snow and ended up sticking to the aviary netting. This spared the chickens from having their run become a winter wonderland, but caused us much grief since we now know we have a bit of a design flaw. So saggy netting aside, our poultry friends had gotten off easy. Until today.
         
I opened the big door to find everyone quite a twitter and refusing to get off the roosts.

I tried to convince them that this white stuff was not going to attack them,
but they weren't buying what I was selling.


I finally got one brave soul to venture out.

            
"Are you sure this is safe?"

        
"Oh! That's cold!"

   
Her voyage into the unknown lasted all of 30 seconds before she made her retreat.

Back inside the coop, my  favorite lady, Bertha, was doing her best to ignore me.


"I don't see you. I am looking at this very intersting spot on the ceiling."

She really felt she had better things to do than frolic with me.

Like preening.


Things quickly escalated to the chicken equivalent
 of a Sit In.

So I went about filling the waterer, freshening up the litter and collecting eggs while the ladies stayed up on their perches, pondering what had invaded them and discussing what their next move would be.


"Well, I don't know about you, but I plan to stay right here and poop."

Oh, my feathered friends, you will get used to it, as will the rest of us. It is a reminder of everything I love about New England - stillness, sweaters and seasons. Today was your Snow Day. Tomorrow it's back to work.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I just got here ´cause I saw Your clever comment at Aris-Peekado. And I LOVE chickens! They make me so truly happy, you got a smile on my face today, thanks. I haven´t had chickens for ten years and still I find myself saving food for them on the kitchen-bench, I miss them so much. I´ll be back to read more on your blog in Time. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I"m a HUGE fan of Bertha! Love the attitude. IT is only appropriate that you would have activist chickens that use sit ins to get their point across(:

    ReplyDelete