One woman's quest to save money, save the planet and save my sanity

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Winter Marketing

Since using the last of my garden carrots to make Noah's birthday cake last week, my fresh produce cravings have kicked into overdrive. I have been making a strong effort to buy as little, non-local fruit and veg as possible since the end of the regular Farmers Market season and, needless to say, the well has begun to run dry.
In October, I did bid my local market a fond farewell knowing that I would hit some of the Winter Markets that are held monthly during the off season. With a surprisingly wide variety of products to choose from, I have been awaiting their arrival with a mix of excitement and desperation. I had to work all day during the November market, but that was alright because we were still enjoying the vegetables of our own labor.
Now, with winter whipping me in the face every time I step outside and a crust of ice and snow covering my
garden, I am growing fiendish in my produce desires. The eggs that I collect everyday do a good bit to satisfy the wanna be farmer in me, but when you need something other than protein and carbs, there is no way to fix an egg to fit the bill.
I had been counting down the days to the market in my regular stomping ground when I got word of another market not too far from here that I had never been to. A "rogue" Farmers Market, if you will. It is a market owned by the town and it's people and they make up their own rules and are doing things in a style that suits me to a tomato. The Newmarket Farmers Market is held at the historic Stone Church in Newmarket, NH and has items to sooth the eco soul on so many levels.

Many might wonder what you will find at a winter market in New Hampshire and here is a good summary:
"We feature the freshest locally grown vegetables, goat's milk cheese & yogurt, eggs, artisan breads and baked goods, honey, maple syrup, wine, gourmet mushrooms, pastured fed antibiotic-free turkey, chicken, beef, lamb, pork, locally harvested oysters, soaps, art, agricultural crafts and specialty products."
This market is a feast for the eyes and imagination, as well as the stomach with unique products like pick your own radish and micro-greens (that's right, PYO indoors in December!), work by local artists and heirloom seeds. Just hearing about it got my heart aflutter and then I had an idea. A wonderful idea. The Ecocheapo got a wonderful, greeny idea. (Right color, wrong temperament). Taking my kids to the Farmers Market is always a mixed bag. They are excited for about the first ten minutes and then they start to loose it. I can usually pull them back for a few minutes with the purchase of a baked goodie, but as I browse and ogle the merch, they begin to wander and whine. There really isn't a whole lot to typically entertain the wee ones. So here came the thought ...what if I could offer something just for kids? My new venture as an Ambassador for Barefoot Books has given me new and amazing ways to connect young children to ecology and culture and my penchant for making treasure out of trash usually kicks into high gear at the holiday season. So an email to the coordinator of the Newmarket Market and an inspiring return phone call later and I was ready to set up shop.
Come this Saturday, December 19th, I will be manning a booth where I will be reading from my favorite Barefoot Books and helping kid visitors make Christmas ornaments out of 100% re-purposed materials. I will also have a special selection of books that I have chosen for market goers available as wonderful last minute Holiday gifts. Gorgeous children's books on everything from eco activities to yoga and world cultures to beekeeping. All with a a strong adherence to the Core Values of Barefoot which are near and dear to my heart.


Imagine
We offer books that are an authentic alternative to the commercialization of childhood. We encourage children to make time for make-believe, let their imaginations run wild and free, while never forgetting that childhood is a time for fun.
Explore
We help children explore other cultures, our planet, and themselves, providing them with ways to follow their imaginations on extraordinary journeys, both inner and outer.
Create
We believe that books with beautiful art and meaningful stories respect the innate wisdom of children and have the power to nourish the creative spark in everyone.
Connect
We are committed to using story to create deep and lasting connections—whether it’s a child and parent connecting over a book; a child connecting to the universal wisdom of other cultures; or a broad network of people connecting through shared values and the desire to help children become happy, engaged members of a global community.
Give Back
We support organizations that share our goals of global understanding, empowering children through art and story, and protecting and preserving the earth for future generations.

I am so grateful to Newmarket for allowing me to participate. I am hoping that I can be of service by entertaining kids so parents can peruse the tables and talk to the sellers and soak up all that this rich and community focused event has to offer. So if you are semi-local to 03833 (that's me, not Newmarket) join me this Saturday from 9-1pm and if you are from other parts seek out your local markets and see what might be growing and going on in a winter wonderland.

No comments:

Post a Comment