One woman's quest to save money, save the planet and save my sanity

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Meatless Monday After Midnight - Can You Say "Classic"

Slacker. There is no other word for it. I am a Blog Flunky. Maybe more of a Disstracker since I haven't just been lounging around, but more buzzing about with the goings on of life with children and various other beasts. So here I am, in the wee hours, putting down the words that have been swimming in my brain for weeks now.
I actually can't believe that this recipe was not Week One of Meatless Monday since it is not only in the bible of vegetarian cooking, but was probably my first introduction to the V-Word. The Vegetarian Epicure by Anna Thomas is one of two cookbooks that I associate with my mother, The Joy of Cooking being the other. And the recipe for Corn and Cheddar Cheese Chowder is probably my all time favorite thing that my mom made. It brings back warm, winter memories of ski vacations and wool socks; of my Dad's satisfied grin and footy pajamas. The book itself is a time capsule that has made it's way into my permanent collection.
 The cover is attached by the tiniest of threads and there is an inscription inside to my mother from a friend long forgotten. The bookmark for this favorite recipe is a tattered, tri-folded piece of pink letterhead from the Office of the Dean of Boston University, where my mother was a grad student, dated February 7, 1975.  This has been in it's place of honor longer than I have been breathing this air and will remain so when I hand this gem off to my children. Who will become the chef and keeper of culinary traditions remains to be seen, but they are all undergoing training and showing great promise. Their delight in this recipe echoes back to my own as a child and it is a true winter classic in our home.

Corn & Cheddar Cheese Chowder* (I usually triple this as leftovers are essential)
*as with all my recipes there is some slight deviation from the original

1 large potato, peeled and diced
2 cups boiling salted water
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp dried sage
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
3 Tbl butter
1 onion, finely chopped
3 Tbl flour
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
kernels from 2 ears of corn or one can, drained
chopped chives and parsley
1/4 tsp nutmeg
salt and pepper
1 1/2 cups sharp white cheddar cheese, grated off the block (I use my food processor)
4 to 5 Tbl dry white wine (I use whatever is on hand)

In a large pot, add the diced potato to the boiling water with the bay leaf, sage and cumin seeds and cook until just barely tender - about15 minutes. While the potato is cooking, melt the butter in a medium saucepan and saute the onion in it until it softens, then add the flour, mix well and cook for a minute, stirring frequently. Add the cream, stirring with a whisk. Pour this sauce into the potatoes and water, adding the corn. Add the chopped herbs and the rest of the seasonings. Lower the heat and simmer gently for about ten minutes. Stir in the cheese and wine and and heat until the cheese is completely melted. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.

If there is more comfort in food than can be found in a bowl of this, I have yet to experience it. I want my Mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment