One woman's quest to save money, save the planet and save my sanity

Monday, March 8, 2010

Meatless Monday - Youth Gone Wild

As a child with a myriad of food allergies and a poncho wearing, draft counseling mother, I grew up eating some pretty funky stuff compared to my peers. I was completely fructose and lactose intolerant well into elementary school. I was the kid bringing sugar free jello to birthday parties having no clue why the b-day boy or girl didn't want to forgo the cake for the jiggling delight I had brought for them. The ice cream truck was never my friend and even once my stomach grew todigest the dairy and treats that the universe had to offer, I never became a sweet lovah.
I have, however, held onto many of the favorites that my mother made part of my diet including...(drum roll please)...Chick Peas!
 Has doth professed thine love for these luscious legumes before? They are the fruit of the gods I tell you. My mom always put them in salads or we ate them plain as a snack. I have since discovered that chick peas can make you say "Meat, what's meat?" and not feel the loss. Don't even get me started on hummus. We'll be here till next Monday.
So it is not the least bit coincidental that this week's vegetarian wonder came from a recipe "book" written especially for kids ands featuring the Peas (cue "Boom Boom Pow"). Kids Kitchen by Fiona Bird is a collection of 40 culinary delights designed for the child chef and published by my beloved Barefoot Books. We had this collection for quite a while before I realized that there wasn't a single recipe calling for meat. Kids Kitchen divides everything into five groups: Eggs 'N' Beans, Fantastic Fruits, Milk 'N' Dairy, Spuds 'N' Grains and Vital Vegetables. We are working our way through them and I can't wait to try every one. One of the first that jumped out at me was this number that graced our plates recently.


Herby Burgers (slightly adapted - be sure to check out the original for the Kid-Friendly directions)

16 oz. can of chickpeas (washed and drained)
2-3 tbl pesto
1/3 cup wholewheat flour
Extra flour for dusting hands
1-2 tbl sunflower oil (I confess I used canola)

Mix the chickpeas, pesto and flour together in a food processor. Or put it all into a big bowl and mash it with a potato masher. With floured hands, mold 6-8 burgers and then out them in the fridge for 20 min. Heat a little oil in a frying pan and fry them 2-3 minutes per side until brown and crispy. Then serve them on a bun with your choice of topping.


Two out of three Ecocheapo kids gave this a thumbs up. The remainder ate it anyway. Daddy was less than enthusiastic originally, but I caught him eating it later and I sold the last patty to one of my best 4 year old pals today. I loved it so they will certainly be getting it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment