One woman's quest to save money, save the planet and save my sanity

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Brushetta Outta Here

Confession:
I miss avocados. I miss bananas. I bought a tomato on New Years Eve and the guilt is eating me up. But, I will say that my bruschetta was worth the cheat. In case you want to try it out...

Bruschetta

1 loaf italian bread (I buy it from the Day Old markdown rack for 90 cents a loaf and throw it in my freezer)
1 jar of pesto (in season you can make this fresh and I'll tell you how when we get there)
1 large tomato, diced
fresh grated parmesan cheese (I buy the wedges and grate it myself. SO SO SO much better than what we used to call "sprunkly" cheese out of a can)
1 lemon, sliced into wedges (optional)

Preheat oven to 425. Slice the loaf open lengthwise so you have two flat surfaces to work on. Give the pesto a good stir before you use it and then spread it over each open surface of the loaf. Spread the diced tomatos out over the pesto. Sprinkle each loaf liberally with the cheese. Bake on a cookie sheet for about 10 min or until the cheese is melting and just starting to brown and the edges of the bread are a bit crispy. Let cool for a few minutes and then use a large serrated knife to slice the loaves horizontally into large pieces. Serve with the lemons on the side. Although lemons aren't essential, it is super yummy to squeeze some over when you eat it.

This is an awesome app or party food. We have it for dinner in the summer sometimes. This is a One Spoon on my Spoon Difficulty Scale. One Spoon being "do this in your sleep" going up to Four Spoons which would be "you might want to consult Martha Stewart". You won't see many Four Spoons 'round here. The Bruschetta has major impress your friends factor and in the summer can be made with ingredients you can grow yourself. Try it. Me thinks you'll like it.

* You'll get a pick next time I make it. This post was a bit impromptu.

No comments:

Post a Comment