One woman's quest to save money, save the planet and save my sanity

Monday, January 11, 2010

The Start of Meatless Monday: Tomato Cheese Pasta

I am far too verbose and much too crappy of a photographer to participate in Wordless Wednesday, so I'm goin' rogue and participating in Meatless Monday. I hereby proclaim that on Mondays, I will post a meatless recipe.
You don't have to be a rank and file member of PETA to see the benefits of eating more vegetarian meals. The demand for meat production puts extreme pressure on natural resources and is quite unsustainable. According to an article by USA Today and the Society for Advancement of Education, 56,000,000 acres of U.S. land are utilized for the production of hay for livestock. Only 4,000,000 acres are used to produce vegetables for human consumption. Water, feed and fuel are also disproportionately allocated to sustain meat product. The health and wellness of livestock animals suffers from these burdens and, thus, the risk of disease is passed on to us.

As stated before, we are not vegetarians. We are, however, humanitarians, environmentalists and tightwads. Eating less meat supports all of these principles. It is well documented that the living conditions of factory raised animals are atrocious. When the time comes, our chickens may end up on the table, but they will come from an existence that could be featured on Lifestyles of the Rich and Feathered. We still purchase commercial meats, but we are gradually reducing this comsumption and, when able, purchase from local farms. In the summer time, we supplement most meats with bounty from our garden, we also eat at least one egg meal per week (frittata, quiche, etc.). The economics of meatless meals are a big draw for us and are what sells Dear David on the idea. The downside, is that these meals are not always the healthiest and tend to be heavy on the carbs. But they are satisfying, nourishing, and a hell of a lot better than McDonalds.
So here is the first in my series of Meatless Monday recipes. The other benefit of this new endeavor is to assure that I give my blog a little love at least once per week. Of course, I will miss some here or there, but at least I am off and running.
The following recipe is one that I "made up" ages ago and it remains a family favorite. Add a veg on the side and you've got a decently balanced meal.
*As with most of my kitchen creations, I don't follow recipes exactly so I am winging it on the measurements here. I also need to warn you that I am cooking for a very hungry family of five. These portions may seem completely ridiculous to the average home chef.

Tomato Cheese Pasta

1 lb or more of ziti (or another similar pasta, or a combo of leftovers that need to be used)
4 tbl butter
4 tbl flour
2 cups milk
two big handfuls shredded cheddar cheese
salt and pepper
1 large can crushed tomatoes or 1/2 large can of spaghetti sauce
6-8 slices of American cheese
1-2 handfuls of shredded mozzarella
a bit of fresh grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 375. Get a large pot of salted water going for your pasta. *TIP - Put the lid on the pot, it will boil much faster, saving you time and conserving energy.  When the water boils, add your pasta and cook about 10 minutes or until it is neither chewy or mushy. You want al dente.
In a med. saucepan you are going to prepare your cheese sauce (I use this all the time and in a million ways so commit it to memory). Melt the butter over low heat. When it is completely melted, stir in the flour and let this cook for a few minute, stirring almost constantly, to get the floury taste out, but being careful not to burn it. This is your roux and is the base for your sauce. Next, gradually whisk in the milk until it is fully incorporated. Resist the temptation to just dump it in. Then add the cheese and some salt and pepper. Stir frequently with the whisk and make sure to scrape along the bottom of the pan. When the cheese is fully melted and the sauce is thickened, taste it and correct the seasoning. Remove from the heat.
Pour the crushed tomatoes/ sauce (I only use sauce when I am out of the crushed) into a blender or food processor, then add your cheese sauce. Blend until you have a nice light red sauce that is fully combined.
By now your pasta should be done and drained. In a large casserole dish, ladle in a bit of your sauce to cover the bottom. Then add half of your cooked pasta. Poor half of your sauce over the pasta and spread it around to cover the pasta. Divide the American cheese slices in half and then lay them over the pasta a few inches apart and in rows.
Pour the rest of the pasta over this to form a new layer. Spread the remaining sauce over the top and then sprinkle the top with the mozzarella. Grate some Parmesan over the top and then put it in the oven. Bake for about 20 minutes until the cheese is starting to brown and the sauce is bubbly. Yum, yum, super yum.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Heather,

    As a long-time vegetarian (16 years now) and not-quite-as-long-time vegan (9 years) I definitely salute your goal of going meatless one day a week. However I have to disagree with your comment that meatless meals are less satisfying or necessarily carb-based. I also want to point out that if you're including any animal products in your recipes, you're still dealing with the problem of the way those animals are being raised - both the way they're treated and the way the egg/dairy industries impact the environment. Also, a meal based largely on carbs and cheese is not necessarily healthier than a meal based on lean meats or fish! When I first went vegetarian at age 14 I actually gained weight because I wasn't very smart about it - I'd skip the sliced turkey sandwich at lunchtime and end up eating a snickers bar an hour later! But nowadays I hav a lot of great animal-free recipes in my repertoire that satisfying without being super carb-based. I'm going to email you a couple of my favorites in a few minutes, let me just look through my cookbooks....

    I don't mean to come out all negative - I really think a meatless day is an awesome idea for anyone who isn't ready to give up meat or animal products altogether.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howdy S-
    It actually did occur to me that for my first "meatless" recipe, this one was pretty heavy on the dairy and, of course, there is a gigantic animal component and subsequent sustainability issue there, as well. Looking back, I did say that we find meatless meals to be both "satisfying" and "nourishing". In fact, meat free meals tend to be some of my biggest hits. When someone asked my three year old last week what her favorite food was she shocked the heck out of the woman by saying "beans and rice"!
    Since we raise our own chickens, the humane treatment of laying chickens is not a factor for us. These chickens get more attention and treats than I do :)
    Carbs is definitely an issue in when it comes to "non-vegetarian" meat less meals and also in frugality. Potatoes and pasta are cheap. It's that simple. I can't imagine trying to feed our family without those as staples and I welcome tips on how to improve the health factor of our dinners.
    We make far more than one meatless meal per week. I would actually say about half of our dinners are. Tonight it's pasta with pesto and garlic bread with a veg TBD on the side.
    I totally envy your ability to go vegan. I think I would go into cheese withdrawal! We do have vegan meals in our repertoire and I will make sure to feature them on future Mondays. Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your recipe - sounds yummy! We've been having more meat-free meals since we started eating locally - especially since there are so many winter markets in the area now, the veggies we can get year-round are definitely inspiring!

    ReplyDelete