One woman's quest to save money, save the planet and save my sanity

Monday, January 18, 2010

Meaningful Meatless Monday: All Together in One Pot

It would have been easy to forget that today I was due for my second post on meatless meals. Days off from school always throw me off my game a bit. Combine this extended weekend with a very heavy snow falling all around us and it is enough to render me lazy and disoriented. But on this King of Holidays, I find myself reflecting on the vision of MLK and how that relates to my hopes and dreams as an environmentalist. Dr. King saw a better world where people would come together and strive for a deeper understanding of one another. Where we would live in harmony and peace with our fellow man and challenge ourselves to rise above and shed the complacency that plagued our society for so many years.  He dared to dream of a new way of living for future generations. We are honored and humbled by his leadership and we show a formal display of our gratitude on this day.

I can not help but think that if Dr. King were alive today, he would also be challenging us to examine our relationship to the earth and to strive for a more harmonious and peaceful existence with our planet. We can do better. We must do better. We have overcome so much and now is the time to come together and fight for something that affects the future of every man, woman and child. So today, I put forth my dream for a simpler and more sustainable relationship with our world. For a deeper understanding of our place in the environment and for a leader to emerge to will guide us into an era of change. And before we move on to the Meatless part of this Monday, a musical moment that has been a favorite of mine for many, many years. There could not be a better description of  this common vision for our world. Take a listen while you ponder today's recipe possibilities.



Fried Potatoes & Cabbage - A Super Supper or Side and a One Pot Wonder

3 lbs. of potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 onion, chopped
half of a head of green cabbage, cute away from the core and sliced very thin
2 tbl butter
2 tbl oil
salt & pepper to taste
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp seasoned salt
3/4 cup water or broth

* Tip: Once you peel and chop you potatoes, put them in a bowl and cover with cold water until you are ready to use them. This keeps them from turning brown.

In a large fry pan over med high heat, melt the butter and then add the oil. You can also skip the butter and just use a bit more of your favorite oil. I like the flavor from the butter. Add the potatoes and onion  and cook, stirring and turning gently, until they begin to brown and softened a bit, about ten minutes or so. Add all the seasonings and the cabbage and cook for about five minutes more, continuing to turn  and stir gently. You don't want mush! Add the water. Sometimes I use broth if I have some to use up. Lower the heat to med/low and put a cover on it. Let cook for 5-10 minutes more and then taste. Potatoes should hold their shape, but be cooked through and cabbage should be tender. Adjust the seasoning ( add more if you think it needs it) and you are ready to serve. Not only does this make an awesome side dish or a hearty, inexpensive meal, but I would even serve it for breakfast with some scrambled eggs. Just adjust the amount you are making based upon your need. I also find that cabbage gets a bad rap and this is a great way to get people to eat it who might not normally dig in. Out of my trio of kids I have one who loves the potatoes, one who just picks out the cabbage and eats that, and one who loves the whole thing so much he cleans his sisters' plates. I just love diversity in any form and their differences in taste come together to make for full bellies and clean plates.

No comments:

Post a Comment