One woman's quest to save money, save the planet and save my sanity

Monday, March 29, 2010

Meatless Monday - Dining Out Can Be Divine

Ideally, I would make a grand and glorious meal breakfast, lunch and dinner from lovely, local, wholesome ingredients, but we all know that life is hardly ever ideal and if I didn't live in the land of reality pre kids, I sure the hell do now. Although it kills me to spend the money, there are times when it becomes necessary to grab something to eat while we are out and about. Times like when you are heading to the grocery store after picking up kids #2 & 3 from preschool and realizing that if you don't get them something to eat beforehand things are going to get very, very ugly. So what to do?
Shamefully, we occasionally have headed through the drive thru under the golden arches and being American children, they would love it if I did this in every pinch. But I can't bare it and I am compelled to seek alternatives. I am rarely impressed by dining out experiences so it is rare for me to frequent a restaurant but I am totally in love with a little spot about ten minutes from my house and Meatless Monday seemed like to perfect time to shout about it!

The Divine Cafe in Exeter, NH is just what the name says - Divine. In every way imaginable, it is my perfect eating experience. From the moment you walk in, you are soothed with it's coziness and greeted by the best and friendliest folks you can find. The Divine's motto is "Nourish The Body, Respect the Earth" and their food and atmosphere reflect that in so many ways. From their compostable To Go containers and their selection of beverages including organic chocolate milk and fair trade coffee to their massive amount of choices for vegan and vegetarian friends.
Not being a "V" of any sort, I had been eating from the meaty choices for quite sometime, until recently I decided to venture out and try "The Wrap". I was presented with a soft tortilla filled with egg, peppers, onions, cheese and avocado that made me want to reenact a particular scene from "When Harry Met Sally". This is my new breakfast favorite.
Then last week, after the Storytime that I do at the Divine on Thursdays, I had a hankering for lunch and had some time before getting the beasts so I decided to try Bonnie's Blue. I have gotten this before with beef, which is from Niman Ranch, but I decided to get it with a Divine Burger. This is their signature vegan burger that they sell as part of their menu, from the freezer for patrons to take home and to various other restaurants and establishments. I wanted to try it because my five year old has been wanting one since the last time she ordered a burger at the Divine and proceeded to pull out the meat and eat the bun with mustard, tomato and lettuce. When I told her there was another option she vowed to get it next time and I thought I should test it before shelling out the cash only to hear that it is dry or tasteless as have been all my previous experiences with veggie burgers. Little did I know the treat I was in for.
A toasted bun greeted me (always a nice touch) and in between it's halves was a ceremony of some of the culinary things that make me weep. Mushrooms! Blue Cheese! Some crazy good sauce! And the burger itself was perfectly spiced, soft, but with great texture and grilled to perfection. Can you tell I have been fantasizing about this all week? I will NEVER get the regular burger again. This was so much better!
I have yet to get a meal at the Divine that I wasn't totally impressed with. Did I mention their side salad that came with my burger? Don't even get me started. So if you find yourself in the Exeter, NH area on a Wednesday thru Staurday between 7:30am and 2:30pm or Sunday until 1pm, head over to Lincoln Street and prepare yourself for transcendent experience of a vegetarian nature. If you hail from other parts, check your local listings for vegetarian fare and start exploring.

PS
And for those of you who are the big "V" or can just appreciate it or the idea of doing something different, you should really read the book "Herb, The Vegetarian Dragon" by Jules Bass. It's a page-turning must for every child and the adults who love them.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you stopped by and entered my giveaway because other wise I may not have found you blog!

    Oh, and....you won the laundry tree soapnut starter kit!! Please email me with your shipping info, easyecotogo at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete