One woman's quest to save money, save the planet and save my sanity

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

From Soap To Nuts

Yes, I realize yesterday was Monday and I am, once again, a total bloser (my new name for Blog Loser) and missed Meatless Monday. I might not have even redeemed myself today with a post, but I was catching up on some of my favorite blogs when a post about laundry caught my attention and wouldn't let go.
Everyone knows that the L-Word is my least favorite household chore. I curse it on a daily basis. David likes to ask if I am going to charge the baskets rent when they have lingered in the hall a bit too long. Last weekend, I did gain some momentum when spring sprang into action and I was able to hang all the laundry out on the line without it freezing solid. I am definitely more apt to stay on top of it when I can do part of it out in the sunshine and also feel the satisfaction that comes with doing something the old fashioned way.
So when I came across Easy Eco To Go's post about a SoapNuts review and giveaway, I knew I was in for a new adventure.

I try to purchase "eco" detergent whenever possible but I always run into several problems:
  • My washer is HE (High Efficiency) and sometimes that cuts out certain products that may suds too much. The appliance store put the fear of God in me about this issue.
  • I need to buy in a fairly large quantity or I'd be buying detergent every time I turn around. Our family of five is either the dirtiest group of people on earth or that's just the way it is.
  • My second child, Josie, has very sensitive skin and is prone to bouts with eczema so we can't just go experimenting or cheap out.
  • I question how "green" some of these mass produced detergents actually are. Without significant scientific exploration I feel like I am at the mercy of the marketing machine. Plus, the mass production of most anything is, by nature, not very eco-friendly.
After reading Easy's post, I find myself intrigued and wander over to the Laundry Tree website to learn a bit more and this is what I find:

"There are a ton of amazing things about soap nuts. A partial list:


•They are simply a dried fruit — 100% totally natural.


•They are organically grown and are free of harsh chemicals, so they are incredibly gentle. (This makes them especially great for those with sensitive skin — including babies and those that suffer from allergies, eczema, and psoriasis).


•They’re totally biodegradable, so they’re better for the environment than regular detergent.


•They’re antimicrobial, so they’re even good for septic and greywater systems.


•They are low-sudsing — exactly what you need for HE (or high-efficiency) washers."


Natural and organic - Sounds good.
Gentle for sensitive skin -  Bonus.
Biodegradable & Antimicrobial - Yes, thank you.
Good for septic systems - I can hear my Dad's nod of approval from heaven.
Good for HE washers - Bingo!


In addition, you can purchase all natural essential oils in tons of different scents to make your laundry smell extra sweet. I am not a user of smelly stuff on my laundry, but I sometimes secretly wish I was. Now seems like a good time to start. I do love the scent of laundry off the line so I will experiment with the oils on the loads that will go into the dryer.
The Soaput possibilities don't end in the hamper. You can also use it as a shampoo by making a batch of SoapNut Soak which you use if you are going to wash on cold (Saponin, the "soap" in the "nuts" is activated in warm water). This Soak can also be substituted for a variety of household chemicals and will certainly get a whirl on every surface in my house. I am always desperate for the inspiration to clean.
So I have just purchased the starter kit of SoapNuts and I await it's arrival with antici - pation. I am hoping it is a transformative laundry experience leading to new found joy in the textile pile that haunts my dreams. If I win the Easy Eco To Go  Contest I will have an additional kit and seeing that each comes with a sample packet to share you would be wise to be extra nice to me. Maybe even offer to do some folding or just tell me how much you love my blog. Flattery will get you everywhere.









2 comments:

  1. Wow, what an awesome write up, thanks! I am still loving these little nuts. My mom (who hadn't tried them when I wrote this) was super skeptical about them and is now in love with them too! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried Maggie's soap nuts (http://maggiespureland.com/) but wasn't crazy about them. I didn't try making the tea myself, I just threw them in a bag of nuts and tried the already made tea from their website. I'd be curious what you think of them.
    I use this now: http://methodlaundry.com/. I love not filling a cup. I use the scentless one.
    - Tad

    ReplyDelete