One woman's quest to save money, save the planet and save my sanity

Friday, March 26, 2010

Growth Spurt

A very exciting day indeed! Today I...

...got my seed order in the mail. I didn't get off my butt to start seedlings this year so this is all my direct sow stuff. I will have a list up of everything I am going to grow, or at least planning to.
...along with the seed order came my Bioset sprout grower. I have converted the children to sprouts and got them off cold cuts for sandwiches. I have always wanted to try this.
...ordered new chicks which will arrive in May. Our current flock of New Hampshire's is near and dear to my heart, but is driving me clucky with the way they peck each other. We selected them for their status as a Heritage breed as well as their cold hardiness, egg production and because they are considered to be "dual purpose". Yes, we will be dining on these when their egg days are over. OK, maybe not Bertha. We have since found out that they are a fairly aggressive breed and we have tried everything to get them to quick eating each others feather, with no progress. It's all very high school.
   
So I researched other breeds and decided to try a few so we can do some comparing. I decided on three each of Delawares (white and to the right), Dominiques (the picture with two chickens), Plymouth Barred Rocks (very similar looking to the Dominiques) and Silver Laced Wyandottes (white with black edges on feathers)There is a bit of a wait since some of these are uncommon breeds, but I am very excited. This addition means that we are also going to be moving up to a bigger coop. More planning needs to be done on that front, but what to do with the old shed that is our current coop? Hmmmm. Let me think. I know...

...GOATS!!! Yes, we have just reserved a set of three sibling Nigerian Dwarf Goats and I am beside myself. I always knew I'd have more kids! These two little soon-to-be wethers (fixed males) and one little doeling girl are insanely adorable and are sure to be a new and exciting challenge for our little homestead. I am sure you will be sick of hearing goat this and goat that and I don't care! They were just born last week so we have a few months to go before they can be weaned and brought home. In the meantime, you can see a few pictures by going to the website for the wonderful little local farm where we are getting them from Meadow Sweet Blue. Check out the 2010 kids page and ours are the first ones listed. Thanks Kerrin!
    
Lastly, we have decided we may need to name our mini-farm-in-the-making. David suggested the name "Growth Rings". Ah, no. It makes me think of stretch marks. I think we will brainstorm a few names and then let cyberspace vote on it. Stay tuned and think manure!

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you like farming and are planning on expanding. I'd be curious to know if the eggs or the different chickens themselves taste (or bake) noticeably different. Or would it matter what you feed them? Does feeding them something like flax make them develop omega-3? Are there "meat" chickens versus "egg" chickens? I assume the grocery store pretty much does only one type and it's not picked for its flavor. Do they tend to stay in the coop most of the day or do they like to go outside? I remember watching "Good Eats" and Alton mentioning that "free range" wasn't any better since chickens would rather be in doors with no light. I was a little surprised by this comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tad. If you have never had a "fresh" egg you should definitely give it a go. There is no comparison. First they are so much yellower than their store dwelling cousins. The yolk is large and rich and there is lots more "white" as this evaporates over time so the fresher the egg the more there is. This makes it difficult to peel a hard boiled egg, but so worth it. The taste is unbelievable. I feel like I had never enjoyed an egg until I had my own. We only have one type of chicken right now so I can't compare,but I have not heard that there is a difference in taste with the breeds as there is with duck/goose eggs, etc. It does matter what you feed them though. We supplement our hens diets with alfalfa in the winter to give them more protein since they are not eating bugs and the like. Omega 3 eggs are boosted because the chickens feed contains extra omega 3.
    There are indeed breeds that are considered meat, egg laying or dual purpose. Our New Hampshire's are considered dual purpose in that they are good layers and large birds with decent meat.
    I am quite surprised that one of my culinary loves, Mr. Brown, would say they don't like light because they actually need a certain amount of light to lay consistently. In winter we supplement with a light in the coop on a timer. Chickens are basically blind in the dark, that's why they roost at night. And there is nothing they love more than free ranging. Ours would be out all day if we didn't have to worry about predators. They go back in the coop on their own at night and we lock them up. When they can't be ladies about town, they are in their enclosed run which has lots of space and safety.
    For anyone interested in learning more about chickens, I highly recommend www.backyardchickens.com. They have great info and their message board has over 50,000 members ready and willing to share their knowledge and love of all things poultry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited to see your farm grow! How you do all you do is to say the least inspirational. I cannot wait to come and see the goats and the new chickens, I think a photo shoot is in order! As for names, it's hard, I have been thinking for you, nothing yet although Stretchmark Farm has a certain ring to it!(:
    I love coming here you make me want to be a better, cheaper, more energetic person, in short, you rock!

    ReplyDelete