One woman's quest to save money, save the planet and save my sanity

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Make breakfast an oat meal

I have to admit that there is many a morning when I just slap a bowl of cereal in front of my kids and hope they finish it in time to catch the bus. I, myself, am not a cereal fan as I grew up lactose intolerant and with a mother who only deemed two boxes nutritious enough to put in her cabinet - plain Cheerios (not even Honey Nut) and Quaker 100% Natural (which is delicious even if I always thought it was for old ladies). We pretty much always have store brand Cheerios (the honey nuttyish) that I buy in the big bags and also use as snacks and in trail mix. The other weekday morning choices are usually english muffin or toast with either peanut butter or our homemade jam or apple butter. Weekends are when I go all out and do pancakes, eggs, waffles and the like.
But once temperatures begin to dip into the 50's and the grass is crunchy when I step outside at 6:30am I begin to dream of oatmeal mornings. For some reason, oatmeal seems to have been marginalized to a packety powdery status or viewed as a bit of a hassle. Those little flavored oat pouches are sure convenient, but just about every bit of nutrition has been ground out of it and the excess wrapping triggers my gag reflex. Plus, the portions are ridiculous. It takes about three of them to make a decent adult sized meal. Hmmm...I wonder if they do that on purpose so you'll have to buy more? No, corporations can't be that manipulative. They always have the consumers best interest at heart. *Insert sarcasm here*


I was on a kick with steel cut oats for a while. If you've never had them, you should definitely give it a try. They have a chewier and coarser texture than rolled oats and are derived from the inner portion of the oat kernel, but have only been cut into two or three pieces. The only drawback is that the cooking time can be be nearly double that of rolled oats and on weekday mornings it is tough to get it done. Some people do prepare them the night before in their crock pot, but if I'm being realistic, I know that getting the oats ready as I am stumbling through my nightly chores is about as likely to happen as me hopping into the nesting box and laying an egg. In addition, the kids are not huge fans and so these nutty little oat gems only make an occasional appearance in our breakfast bowls.
That brings us back around to traditional rolled oats. Everybody has some, but they are often relegated to the shelf of Seldom Used Baking Ingredients. My love for these grains in apparent in my Homemade Chewy Granola Bar recipe and there are many more delicious treats that these come in handy for, but they can also be amazing when they fly solo. Additionally, they fall into both the eco and cheapo categories. I purchase the 100% Whole Grain Old Fashioned Oats in the huge 42 oz. canisters. Not only does this cut down on excess packaging, but these containers can be reused for a multitude of storage purposes. The store brand oats in this size cost me $2.28. I find the serving size on the package to be about right for us. The girls eat a little less than one portion and the rest of us a bit more so it evens out. There are 30 servings per container so that works out to less than .08 cents per serving. Consider ten minutes total prep time and I am compelled to quote Grey's Anatomy and say "Seriously."

As for flavoring these grainy goodies, I like to keep it fairly traditional. My hubby enjoys consuming them al natural (gross), but the rest of us like a little more sweet lovin'. I typically go with either maple syrup/brown sugar/raisins or brown sugar/cinnamon/chopped apples with a little milk to cool it and add creaminess. Tomorrow I will be drying some of the apples that I just picked to utilize in oatmeal this winter as we try to ween ourselves off of foreign fruit. So let's say these add ins even double the cost per bowl, that's still only .16 cents per person and I'd like to see a sugar laden, packaging nightmare, crappy toy promoting box of cereal top that. So dig into the back of your cupboard or glance to the right or left of your normal breakfast aisle purchase and discover the warm and frugal goodness of a hearty bowl of oats.

2 comments:

  1. I love oatmeal for breakfast too. But I'm wondering if there's somewhere near you that you could buy in bulk - it's even cheaper and you just bring your own container - no waste at all. If not, maybe there's a wholesaler who does mail order? This is how we're getting a lot of our staples during this year, while we're in Alaska. It's extremely cheap and you can buy things in huge increments (10, 25, 50, 100 lbs, etc).

    Also, I know you said your kids don't love the steel cut oats, but I LOVE them and hate how long they take - but today I found this idea on the internet. The night before, put 1.5 cups of oats and 6 cups of water in a saucepan. Boil for 1 minute, cover and let stand overnight. The next morning, uncover, bring to a boil, lower to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Add your toppings and you're good.

    BTW, even though oatmeal is really healthy, whenever I eat it I seem to be on a quest to make it as bad for me as possible - brown sugar, maple syrup, butter...it's all good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your'e so right. We take something super nutricious and add all kinds of unhealthy extras, but I have to say that it makes it so yummy. David eats it plain and I am in awe. It's like black coffee. I just don't know how people do it. They are obviously made of tougher stuff than I.
    I love your bulk ideas. One of my goals for this winter is to try to find bulk sources for most of our staples that are comparable in price to the grocery store. It would also be great to have some local ones (obviously sugar wouldn't be on the list). I have seen some local places to get dried beans so I may start there. I will do some research and hopefully when you get back this way I can have some sources ready for you!
    Per your inpsiration, I am making it my mission to feed the kids steel cut oats once per week until they either like it or mutiny.

    ReplyDelete