One woman's quest to save money, save the planet and save my sanity

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

This Weeks Thrift Store Haul

Sometimes I am on a mission when I go to the thrift store only to come up completely dry. I love deals, but I won't just buy anything. It has to be the right thing. Sometimes I go and just peruse and maybe pick up a gift to tuck away or a great pair of shoes. This week though, I went armed with a mental list that included:
  • a few backup pairs of mittens or gloves for the girls
  • a new hat for Caroline who is blessed/cursed with my hair which is ridiculously thick and makes hat wearing a challenge
  • something to organize the barrettes and ponytail holders that are taking over
  • materials to undertake a complete Montessori-ish playroom makeover

After spending $19.50 I walked out with the following:
  • 2 cute hats
  • 3 pairs of gloves
  • 2 metal lap traps with the folding legs in great shape and with identical girly design
  • a small three drawer organizer (for the accessory explosion)
  • 1 laundry basket
  • 3 medium storage totes
  • 2 plastic stackable storage drawers
  • 1 very nice plain wooden truck in perfect condition
  • 1 wooden tray
  • 2 basket trays
  • 3 sectioned plastic trays
  • 2 plastic sink size bins
  • small plastic storage box
  • small wooden handled brush, never used
  • a brand new dust pan
  • a huge vinyl placemat, brand new
  • brand new set of measuring cups and spoons
  • 2 small ladles
  • 1 pair of tongs
  • 1 small spreading knife
  • and my best find of the day, a totally cool three wheel scooter which Josie has been asking for as a birthday or Christmas gift, in great shape and only $1
Everything except the outwear, the hair nightmare holder, the lap trays (Christmas gifts for the ladies) and the scooter will be combined with things I already have to organize the playroom and create works and activities for the kids. I am only loosely using some of the ideas that I witnessed when Noah attended Montessori preschool and kindergarten. I want the girls to begin to keep their materials in a confined space, to finish what they start, to put away something before they take out another activity and to just up the ante a bit in terms of their home education. I am chronically feeling guilty because I spent so much time working with Noah on anything and everything and the girls have never gotten that type of attention. There will be a few new things out for Noah as well, but he is generally pretty neat about his things and has a high level of natural curiosity that leads him to explore in his own way.
So that is my room redo plus extras for less than 20 bucks. I will post some before and afters once it is completed and, in the meantime, I am preparing to arrive before the doors open at a super mega Rummage Sale on Friday. I hope to walk out with my Christmas and birthday shopping for the coming year done. I may get buck wild so I'm bringing $40.00.

No comments:

Post a Comment