One woman's quest to save money, save the planet and save my sanity

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Trick or Treat Confessional

As mentioned in a previous post, the idea of giving out traditional Halloween fare and all it's trashy accoutrement's, makes me feel a bit icky. I did have one idea to avoid the prepackaged tickets to the dentist, but it was a miserable failure. I thought I might give out Scribble Cookies. I frequently make these as party favors and stocking stuffers. I save our broken crayon bits and, after peeling the paper, break them up into bits, fill the bottom of a muffin tin and put them in the oven on 200 degrees for about 15 minutes or so. The result, when cooled, is a little rainbow chunk suitable for little hands to make big and crazy art. So I thought I would try to make these in ghoulish shapes, but the only Halloween molds I had were plastic candy ones. Knowing this would melt at even the lowest of baking temps I decided to try the melting process in the microwave, but it went nowhere fast. Then in a moment of delusion, I thought "Maybe it would be OK in the oven." The result was a big plast-ICKY mess and the demise of my candy mold. I did find a metal baking pan with pumpkin shapes at the store, but they were way too deep and would have created freakishly large coloring treats suitable for knocking siblings unconscious. Plus, the tray was nine bucks, so I passed. So I did end up setting out a bowl of individually wrapped candy bits and goldfish crackers, but I will do penance by spending the next year searching for a viable alternative. I do, however, recommend trying the Scribble Cookies. Those are good, clean fun.
We had our trick or treat last night and I wrapped up my costume creations just in time. I procrastinated more than usual this year, which accounts for my absence on the blog this week. But we are now post-holiday and I can breath easier. So here is the trio, youngest to oldest, in all their ghouly glory.

My sweet little spider was the most challenging ensemble this year. I got this idea last spring when I was going through some of my Dad's old clothes. God bless him, the man loved his black, nylon socks. He would be quite proud that they found new life as a costume creation. I stuffed the socks with newspaper and then attached them with Velcro and thread to a piece of cardboard that I covered with felt. It turned out to be heavier than I thought, though, and David had to come to the rescue and attached more heavy duty strapping with a drill and some serious muscle. Team this up with some black, thrift store clothes and the wicked
web-ster  was complete.



For some reason, this little insect escaped a decent picture, but you get the idea. I must admit, this is not my handy work. On a trip to Casa de Thrift to get two sets of plain black duds for the costume base, I decided to browse their costume selection and found this little tunic for a dollar. A DOLLAR! I couldn't even buy the fabric to make it for that price. So that took care of one bug and I just topped it off with a headband that I attached black pipe cleaners to for antennae.



Knowing that, at nine years old, the number of Halloween's that I will still be able to go homemade for my man motivated me to do something I knew he really wanted. I wasn't sure how we would do with The Joker, but I am quite pleased with the result. The key is to know what you are going to do well in advance so you can keep your eyes peeled for stuff you may need. I started picking up pieces here and there at the end of summer. The purple pants were off the dollar rack at the ubiquitous thrift store. The coat (actually a long ladies blouse, but don't tell him) and green t-shirt were also a buck a piece on a clearance rack at Wal-mart. I cut a V-shape out of the neck and just drew on buttons to make the vest. The shirt, tie, gloves and boots we already had. I did invest in the green hairspray and the make-up was leftover from a previous incarnation as a vampire. But really, would this get-up be complete without a young boys attempt to mortify his mother by channeling Heath Ledger?

Tonight we will make the annual costumed pilgrimage to Grammy's to delight her and make our way through the T or T maze of my youth. Although not the eco-ist of holidays, I did manage to get away with spending less than $15 to bring three kids their Halloween dreams-come-true and as I survey the damage of Peanut Butter Cup wrappers and lollipop sticks, I can't help but feel my Dad smiling upon me. Do you think they have Snicker Bars in heaven?

1 comment: