One woman's quest to save money, save the planet and save my sanity

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

One Morning Near Maine

To be clear - I am NOT a photographer. It is one of those skills I do hope to gain,
but here are some images from my 7am October world.



 I never knew a warm egg could be the best thing I touch all day. I slip them into my pocket
 and then hold them while I wait for the dogs to "get busy".  When I come inside and lay them in the carton beside their brethren, I count each one and say a silent thank you.




Meet Inferior Chicken. Don't worry, she isn't about to do anything. She just takes a look around and then goes about her day, pooping and eating. She is the only hen without a developed comb and her vent (that's butt hole to non-chicken folks) is puckered up tighter than a cheapskates wallet.




The chard and baby spinach look so sad at this frosty hour, but these greens are remarkably
resilient and by noon they will spring back to life and will be inviting me to come clip them
and turn them into something delicious.




This thin and curvy birch is my favorite tree on our property. It is dead or dying.
 I do not know which. The time will come when it will fall or need to be taken down and  I am already dreaming about what its new life will be.

When I am tired and weary from the daily chores that I have put upon myself by choosing this not-so-simple life, it is these moments that bring me back to the knowing that this is progress. These things are real and tangible connections to how we survive and, with a little luck, thrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment